Monday, March 14, 2011

Fine & Well, Feeling the Blogosphere Love

Peeps, I want to thank you all for checking on me. A few of you asked how we were during this week's earthquake & tsunami after effects and I want to tell you how much it meant that you all had my back in the blogosphere.


First, we are all fine. Oahu was spared with some minor damage and everyone has the feeling that we dodged a huge bullet. Parts of Kauai, Maui and the Big Island weren't as lucky and sustained some real damage to roads, harbors, boats, and some near-shore spots. No one suffered a loss of power, though cell phone reception was basically nil for 24 hours.

Most of you know the Hubs and I just bought and finished building a new house. Well, the house is also about 5 blocks from the ocean and we're at sea level, so when the emergency response system alarms went off at 10pm, we packed our things and evacuated our area and spent the night with the in-laws who live about 30 minutes away up hill.

It was definitely sleepless worrying about family elsewhere on the island, friends in Japan who also had to evacuate, and this house we just invested in. Spent the night between watching the tsunami effects in Japan and our local news coverage. At around 3:30am, I caught footage of the ocean near Waikiki pull back and saw the exposed reef. The generated wave and water level was minimal, but you can't imagine how freaked out we were watching that usual placid and beautiful beach scene get sucked back like that.

We got the All Clear at about 8am the next morning and can I tell you how beautiful that Friday morning was? Clear skies and shining sun. Our family was fine, friends in Japan were spared and safe, and there was zero damage to the house. You would have never thought the night before was such a freak fest.

My heart goes out to the people of Japan in Sendai. I can't imagine what they're going through right now.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear everything is ok! Thank you so much for posting to let us know! How are you feeling these days? Any morning sickness? When is the baby due?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi FFM! No morning sickness. I'm about 17 weeks now and baby is due mid-August. I've been picky about what I eat, but at least no nausea or anything serious. How is your family? Hoping you are all doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you and baby are doing well! Are you going to find out if its a boy or girl? How does your son feel about having a sibling?

    We are extremely busy as usual, but doing well. That is, other than a nasty virus that's making it's way through our house. It's on child number 3 now...one more boy to go and we'll be all clear again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good way of looking at it! I can see I'll probably be expecting the same with two soon.

    Our son is definitely looking forward to having someone to look up to him. & as long as the baby stays away from his toys at all times, he approves. :0)

    We find out if it's a boy or a girl tomorrow, and I'll definitely post about what we find out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm so excited to hear the news! I could never wait and always had to find out what I was having...I'm not good at surprises. ;)

    I'm sure your son will be a wonderful big brother and such a help to you, as well. There is 5 years between my oldest and the 3 younger ones and he is such a help to me, plus they all absolutely adore him and look up to him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hoping for that, too. I think he's going to be an excellent big brother, if just a teensy bit condescending... LOL, but a GREAT role model!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Suze, Hi! How's your Jersey Baby doing? I bet he's gotten so big!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting. I'm glad you & the family are well, plus other loved ones. I love me some good news!

    ReplyDelete