Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Case for the Pop-Back Dress

Apologies up front for the blurry photo or two, folks. I used the little Exilim this morning and sometimes that's what I get out of it. I was just too excited to show you the Golden Roses flannel dress I got as a pop-back in FS a few weeks ago. For $59, this dress is a winner (It's currently on eBay for $75-$135). I always feel triumphant in this crazy way when I get a) a pop-back from a previous rollout and b) when it's totally on sale. Why is that? It makes the dress even that more special. It was not offered in my usual size but I remembered from a past purchase last year that anything bought in that heavier flannel should probably be bought sized up. I was thinking this may be too large, but after trying it on I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that the fit was nice, and then I was disgusted that the fit was nice and the size was larger than usual.


I hadn't thought about buying this dress when it was originally offered. This was the dress where the model looks positively emaciated in the photos, and at the time it gave me the impression that I too must be emaciated to fit into it. The silk top part of the dress is very nice and I like how the grey calms down the yellow (because y'all know I fear color and like to live with my neutrals).


I paired the dress with the grey bubble necklace. It is a little much but the bubbles tend to just kind of settle into place against the golden roses / grey background.


I ended up wearing the pewter tartine cardigan with it to work. In my office there is a lot of face time with senior management and one doesn't attempt to do that with bare arms. Alas for that, ladies, because I didn't want to hide the golden roses print. Watch out eBay... I'll be looking for other pieces.


Last but not least, I ordered the Charlie ruffled suede heels with the dress. These werewaaaayyyy marked down and they are so cute. I was very excited to get them. In this order I also got the Tuxedo jacket and the short shearling chalet boots, which I'll share in an upcoming post.


Happy Hump Day, Ladies! It's a short week and it's almost over!

13 comments:

  1. Oh you got the Charlie heels, hmmmm I was dating this shoes for while but I couldn't find it on my size.
    The dress looks very good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl girl... I love the little ruffle on the shoes and to find a normal black heel on sale ... Amazing! I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Charlie's are so cute! I did have the light hydgrangea at home for a while, but learning from past experience, I do far better on a 3" heel. You look beautiful in the roses dress and it is just the fabric and sizing, not you. Cut out the tag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a stunning outfit! Luve the Charlies, the roses dress, and the bubble necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. one of my favorite outfits you've posted! looovveee that dress

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this dress - I have been wanting it for a LONG time but can't pull the trigger with the ebay prices just yet. You look fabulous in this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great score! The dress looks great on you :-) Yeah, don't worry about the sizing. I think I got a 6 in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, i love the bubble necklace with golden roses pattern...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally love the golden roses dress. I have one too and bought it during final sale pop back :-)
    I'm so crazed up with the flannel version that I had to buy the abstract and watercolor dresses too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ladies!! Wow glad to see everyone likes this dress as much as I do!

    Kathy, Gigi, thanks for the words about the sizing. It's just a number and I know J.Crew is completely unreliable in this department but wow it can be so demoralizing!!

    Yogagirl and Patina, I totally liked the way this looked with the bubble necklace. Sometimes you need a little bling!

    Kari, thank you!! I felt really comfortable in this one and I think it was one of my favorites, too.

    Summerilla, I know what you mean about the eBay thing. I don't know if I could pull the trigger there either when the prices can be outrageous and you know if you hold out you can get it for cheaper from the source.

    missmasala, I'm with you - I want the abstract rose, too!! & I forgot about the watercolor one, so thank you for reminding me! Those will be on my radar. These dresses looked kind of *meh* when they first rolled out but they are FABILIS. I will be looking for all of them. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo PLEASE tell me about the boots. Like about the sizing. I am faithfully hunting them but am nervous since I haven't tried them on.

    The dress is beautiful on you and I love it with the bubble necklace!! Totoally laughed at you feeling accomplished for getting it on sale (SO me) and "disgust" when it fit in a larger size (also so me)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi mommydearest, I will definitely post about the boots soon. I am loving them but there are some little quirks, which may be just me, but I'll blog about it in case you find you think the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing dress - love it on you!! And what a great buy - you're right, that makes it so much sweeter. Love the Charlie heels too!!

    ReplyDelete