Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Perfect Sunday in Photos

This, ladies, is the end to my day - my week - and I think I needed it. With the week starting out with certification exams, and then my birthday, which I spent at work, on the elliptical at the gym, and a working lunch - well, this is a nice end to a crazy and jam-packed schedule.

Flowers from the farmers market today....with...
A Mint Gin Fizz
Aaah, yes, the mint gin fizz. I seem to be going through a phase, ladies, where I want to try out different cocktails and see where I stand with them. Or where they stand with me. Or if they leave me standing. Well, the last one's not so true. I only have one. But this one was pretty good. I have the recipe below for my readers. & by the way. You will hardly ever find a recipe on this blog. In fact, this is my first. I am not a cook or a chef, though I can make some interesting dishes from time to time. I seem to have been a mixologist in a previous life, though. I can make some great little 'tinis.

MINT GIN FIZZ

2 oz Bombay Sapphire Dry Gin
1 oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
Fresh Mint Leaves (un-muddled)
Sugar, to taste
Club Soda
3 ice cubes

Combine sugar and mint leaves in a cocktail shaker
and muddle a bit, just to bruise the mint leaves a little. Add Gin, Lime Juice,
Club Soda and Ice Cubes. Shake it like a polaroid picture.
Strain and pour into a chilled martini glass.
Garnish with a small sprig of mint.

We took a scooter and skateboard tour around our neighborhood this afternoon. Hubs on the longboard skateboard, Little Guy and I on scooters. We checked out the beaches around us as we made our way down to the port and took a few photos along the way.

Shells and Coral on the beach. In the bottom left-hand corner, there is a pottery shard.
We tend to get these. Instead of sea glass, we have sea pottery.

Little Guy trying to hustle towards us.

It is cherry blossom season here. Okinawa is filled with Taiwan Cherry Trees and we are fortunate to get to see their gorgeous bright pink blossoms in late January/early February. Interestingly, even though we are "in" Japan, we're only a 40 minute trip from Taiwan, China.

The blooms on a tree down the next street over. The blooms on this tree were amazing.

Finally made it to the Wharf, where Little Guy spent the time looking for fishes along the pier. What a wonderful day! Hope your Sunday is easy and breezy.

Perfect day.

9 comments:

  1. What nice pictures, so beautiful!
    I did the same this weekend, just RELAX! I am still traumatized of the exam last Friday, but it's so nice to have a weekend without worry about anything.
    Congrats to us! We made it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy b'day!

    Love your pics.

    I'm so proud of you for posting a recipe. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Drama, Thanks - I love it too. I think I'm going to have frame that one!

    TOOTD - Congrats to you for doing so well! I know you did!

    Susan - Thanks for the Birthday shout out. OMG a recipe. I honestly never thought I'd see the day. For sheezy. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday! Such great photos. Look at your little man. He could be a J Crew model.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He he, so true. Little Guy is wearing a t-shirt by Petit Bateau and jeans and a cardigan by J.Crew. He scooters in the Crew. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Marisa!!
    Happy Birthday!!

    Love Little Guy on the scooter. (I have a little girl that is 12 and a little boy age 8 and they both constantly ride scooters....so fun.)

    Your pictures are all so pretty and I just can't believe the color on the Cherry Blossoms!

    Have a great week. The Gin FIzz looks fab....I like stuff like this too.

    beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Beth! I know - the cherry blossoms here are so intensely pink! So gorgeous. HOpe the weather there is not too bad - I'm sure you guys will have some fun snow days. Wish we had that!

    ReplyDelete